Well Lucy did a grand job today at her first affilliated show. 65%+ and second in the non qualifier novice so on her way to getting to the regionals.It was lovely to get the marks deserved from a fellow judge/rider who knows her stuff and is at list 2. Oh my, what was the judge in the second test on? She did a really flowing rhythmical test and I thought, 'marvellous, at least the same mark. We can put this one to bed and concentrate on the other horse.' Never be seduced into thinking that you have it sorted! There is always a judge to prove you wrong! I am not ageist but there is a time in life when one should give up the judging especially if you cannot see! The test comments were so different to the test I watched I even queried if they had written the wrong name on the sheet! Oh well perhaps the guide dog did the judging! Never mind Lucy next time will be better. Its not just at this level though unfortunately. My friend who has a horse destinied for Grand Prix had some severe marks last time out and was, quite rightly very upset! Unless there are real training issues we need to be much more rider friendly as judges.
We still have lots of work to do to get Otto more on the hind leg and to get Lucy using her seat and leg more effectively but a good start!
Watching the working in I was amazed by how many people walk on the track and don't ride left to left! They pass so close sometimes its dangerous! I have to say I would be rather nervous riding a young horse amongst that lot! and are the whips getting longer? Do novice horses require so much whip and spur? What will happen when they get higher up the levels if they need all that for impulsion now? I'm sad to say Lucy was the only rider stretching her horse at the start and at the finish. Horses cannot work in the same outline continuously with out damaging muscles and ligaments.
Talking of backs, I am pleased to say that more and more of my clients are having their own backs done when I go to treat the horses. This is so beneficial as a crooked horse makes a crooked rider and vice versa. Its that time of year when riders should be checking their saddles for balance and getting themselves sorted before winter training commences ready for the championships. A stitch in time saves nine! One of my calls today was in Gloucester, a repeat treatment on a lovely horse who had previously had an accident in the field. The improvement after his first treatment had been astounding and today he couldn't wait for the Oscillator to work on his sore muscles, so much so that he dragged me into the box before his owner arrived at the door! Bless him, horses do show their appreciation in their own funny ways.
Im very excited because my Fritz Stahlekker DVDs have arrived, so I will be spending this evening watching and learning work in hand. The housework will have to wait! Its a shame that the Global Forum will not be televised as I would be glued to that too! Especially as Carl and Charlotte are giving a demo and talk. UK under 21s went on a yard visit to Carls yesterday and have reported that they had an amazing morning watching and learning from Carl and Charlotte. They now realise what hard work and dedication is needed for this sport, but they also saw that they needed good nature and humour to get them through too. How lucky are these children to have the best in the world on their doorstep?
No comments:
Post a Comment